UNITY OF VANCOUVER
3814 FRANKLIN ST. VANCOUVER, WASHINGTON 98660 360-696-0996
Prosperity and Success in the New Year
Reverend Bernadette Voorhees
January 10, 2021
All Rights Reserved
I invite you to relax your physical body and to allow your mind to begin drifting away from past thoughts and opinions of who you think you are and into the light of the truth that God speaks to you about you and for you. You are drifting away from past limitations that you have placed on yourself. With God, you are going beyond failures you have had in your lifetime and you are receiving a course correction. In prayer, you receive the illumination and the guidance, along with the incredible comfort of God.
You are a child of the living God. You have, within you, the all-creating power of the Christ. The power of the Christ radiates from you and blesses all you contact. Your life is God life. Your strength is God strength. You know, without a doubt that God is with you and living through you. You are patient, kind and loving. As you rest in God you are not anxious about anything for you realize that God is working in and through you. God is magnificent. “How great Thou art!”
There is a peace inside of you that passes human understanding. It is at the core of your being. It is a well-being. In the name and nature of your indwelling Christ affirm that this feeling of well-being will stay with you all the hours and minutes of this day, this week and every day and week to come. You have a power inside of you to climb over the hill of past failures; to realize that it is nothing at all for a climber like you. And you are a climber because there is that within you that is climbing and going higher in consciousness as you pray:
Dear God, I wish to go up higher that I have ever gone before. I have realized Your presence many times in my life. I consent now to realizing it more. Dear God, I consent this day to realizing God in a new profound way. I know, dear God, that You are always fresh, new and exciting. I pray that You are all those and more inside of me this morning. I give thanks for Your presence. I rest now, for a holy moment in the silence of prayer.
The grace of God is alive. The grace of God is your assurance of all good things.
The grace of God is working in and through you and every person and every situation for the highest and best of all concerned. In the name and nature of the Christ we give thanks. Amen.
“PROSPERITY AND SUCCESS IN THE NEW YEAR”
I want to begin this talk with a story. A man went into a tailor shop to buy a suit. The tailor had a suit that he had been trying to get rid of for a long time. He handed it to the man and asked him to try it on. The man put it on, looked at himself in the mirror and said, “I like this suit, but it hangs down a little too far.” The tailor said, “That’s no problem. What you do is scoot it up like this and put your chin over here.” The man said, “Well, there’s another problem. One of the pant legs is about three inches shorter than the other.” The tailor said, “That’s no problem. Just pull it up here and put your knees together.” The man looked in the mirror and said, “Wow!” What a great looking suit.” He bought it, walked out and headed down the road. People said of the man, “What a great looking suit, but what a shame he has so many physical difficulties. “That’s the way we are sometimes. We think we’re fooling people. We think we’re dressing up spiritually, but we really haven’t done the inner work. As Emerson said, “What we are speaks so loud that we can hardly hear our words.”
If you have had a failure in the past, sometimes that failure gets you at the core of your being. You don’t know how to get ahead. You use the power of your mind to convince yourself that your failure is okay. You say to yourself, “Oh well, I’ve done this before. I didn’t have any success at it, and I would never ever do that again. I’m too smart for that.” This is being pessimistic.
Today we are thinking about prosperity and success. When we think about it, we have to think about it in our own lives. So, today’s lesson is really a mini success seminar to give each of us a new perspective and prosperity consciousness in the new year. The reason you aren’t as successful as you can be might surprise you. Success may allude you because you haven’t failed enough. Failure is merely the cost of succeeding. It is the cost of seeking new challenges in our lives.
I’m going to share 10 steps to overcome failure. We do not want to remain the same in the new year. We do not even want to remain the same as we were yesterday. We want to become new. But sometimes even though we are breathing in and out, thinking, grasping new ideas, we remain in a consciousness of some failure in the past.
1. The first step is: STOP USING THE WORD FAILURE. Successful people never talk about and dwell on their failures. They say, “Well, I’ve run into a glitch, or I’ve hit a bump in the road.” Now these glitches, these bumps in the road, would destroy an ordinary man or woman - that’s one without faith. But the people I’m talking about have a driver that said, “I’ve got a power within me, and I’m going on. God’s making something out of this life.” And God does.
Years ago, there was a commercial where a man was seen on TV holding up the Remington Shaver saying, “I like this so much I bought the company.” Well, 35 years ago, Victor had a friend come to him with an idea. He listened and didn’t know if he really had it in him to take the idea and to run with it. So, he told his friend to find someone else. That new product was Velcro. It became a billion-dollar industry, much bigger than Remington. In his book “LIVE TO WIN” he said, “I just look at that as another bump on the road.” He also said, “If I would have allowed it, it would have destroyed my life. I had a choice. I had to make that choice. I realized this for several weeks, even into months. I allowed it to depress the life out of me. I couldn’t even get out of bed. Then I decided to use the wisdom from that to make a course correction in my life. I decided to look at it seriously and ask myself the question, ‘WHY?’”
2. DON’T TAKE FAILURE PERSONALLY. HAVE CONFIDENCE IN YOURSELF. Next time and there is always a next time, have the confidence to take the action that you need to take at a given time. When Remington came along, Victor had the confidence to buy the company and make it a success. We’ve all had failure in our lives and if we say, “Well, that’s it, I’m a loser. I’ll never be anything but a loser,” then, we are taking that failure in a personal way. If you are unemployed, do you think about it all the time? Do you think that because you went out to look for a job today without success that you can never find a job? Do you label yourself as unemployed? What you call yourself will become a powerful reality in your life. You are a person with lots of open options, lots of ways to go. “What if I had to buy your thoughts?” Imagine if you had to go down to the convenience store, reach into your pocket and say, “Well, I’ll take a pound of worry, 65 cents worth of depression, and I’d like to have $1.30 of crippling anxiety.” I can’t imagine that you would do that. You’d go into the store and buy good stuff. You’d do that even if the thoughts were very cheap because you are actually making a purchase. You’re making a purchase here this morning. Every day you go into the ‘Convenience mind” inside yourself and decide what you’re going to purchase and what you are not going to purchase. Thoughts can become very, very expensive. There’s a story about Ben Franklin. When he was a little boy, his friends and family gave him six pennies for his birthday. He went to a store and bought a toy whistle and went home and whistled so much that he drove everyone nuts. His family asked him how much he’d paid for the whistle, he said, “Six pennies.” They said, “You paid four times too much.” He never forgot that. It changed his life. Even into old age when men and women were spouting different philosophies and talking about anxiety and fear, Ben Franklin would say, “They paid too much for their whistle.”
What is one thing you want to achieve? Now, What has been your greatest disappointment or discouragement toward this goal? Now, the truth is, you are not that discouragement. Even if it was totally your fault then, you are brand new today. That is the grace of God. It is by God’s grace that we do not have to remain the same. We become better human beings, better receivers of God.
3. USE YOUR DEFECTS. We succeed in enterprises which demand the positive qualities we possess. But we excel in those which also make use of our defects. Use your defects because what seems like a defect to you might be God’s answer. It may be the uniqueness that needs to come out. People will love you for your defects more that they do for your perfection. People love little quirks, the little special things you do that make you uniquely you. Use them to your advantage.
4. YOU WILL GET ANOTHER CHANCE SO BE OPEN AND ACCEPT NEW IDEAS. There’s an idea that we should all get tattooed on our heads. “I will get another chance.” You will get another chance if you can accept it. You have to be willing to see the chance, go after it and accept new ideas. God never rests. God is continually giving you new ideas that can transform everything in your life.
5. GOD IS WITH YOU, NOT TO COMMISERATE, BUT TO CO-CREATE. ACCEPT THE FACT THAT GOD IS WITH YOU, YOUR HELP IN EVERY NEED. There was a man who bought a barometer. He waited for it for a long time and when it finally did come, the needle appeared to be stuck pointing to hurricane. The man wrote a scorching letter to the company saying, “Everything I buy is defective.” The next day he mailed the letter and went to New York. Later that day, he was informed that the barometer was missing, but then so was his house. The hurricane had hit. You have a barometer inside of you and the needle is stuck on GOD IS WITH YOU. A lot of times you’ll shake the barometer and say, “My life is out of order. I can’t believe God could possibly be with me.” But the needle will not move because God is with you every moment of the day.
6. BE BRAVE, REALLY BRAVE. WITH GOD AT YOUR SIDE, TAKE A NEW LOOK AT THE OLD PROBLEM. Don’t be like the old man who said, “It’s not easy taking my problems one at a time because they refuse to stand in line.”
Whatever position they are in, examine them one at a time, not with human consciousness, but with God. Ask God for illumination, guidance, inspiration and understanding in solving the individual problem and then take the following steps.
1. On one piece of paper, write down exactly what the problem is. Define it.
2. On another piece of paper, write down, “What do I think about this problem? What is it’s cause?”
3. On a third sheet of paper, write down, “What are my feelings about this problem?”
4. Then, on a fourth sheet of paper, go into the following steps you will take to solve the problem:
1. Agree to stop worrying, fretting, blaming, or feeling guilty, angry, or afraid.
2. Re-establish joy, excitement and faith in your life.
3. Discuss a plan of action with a friend who supports you.
(To be that friend, listen unconditionally and then pray with them.)
4. Write: “I will go into action in the following ways,” and then wait in the silence for God to give you ideas. God will never let you down. God will give you more ideas than you can write down on a single page.
5. Then, give thanks to God for the perfect answer that is already there. Say to yourself as you “Do these things. That’s no step for a stepper.”
7. DON’T JUST WONDER WHAT YOUR PURPOSE IN LIFE IS, ASK YOURSELF, “WHAT DO I LOVE IN LIFE?” DO WHAT YOU HAVE A PASSION FOR DOING. There is a big difference between living and having a passion for life. It’s like the difference between a song that you dance to and a song that makes you dance. It compels you to move. When you are compelled to move, our lives just flow. God can only give to you what God can give through you. Don’t quit on God. There’s an illustration a prosperity teacher shared with me once. He demonstrated the way many of us pray. He got in the back seat of his car and said, “OK God, if you love me, you’ll drive me to Unity Village.” He sat in the back seat, waiting for God to take the wheel and drive him to Unity Village, nothing happened. He said, that is because God, who is waiting to give, willing to inspire, just shrugs. God says to back seat drivers, “I can only give to what I can get through you. If you’ll get in the front seat, take the wheel in faith, I will give you THE DESIRE to get to Unity Village. If you start to move, I will tell you where to turn, how fast to go and when to stop.” You have to get out of the back seat. You have to take the wheel.
8. HAVE LASTING POWER. There was once an auto racer named Micky Thompson. He created the fastest cars. In the 29 races he started, though he had the fastest car, starting. . . he never finished a race. The cars he was driving always broke down. The fastest car did not have the lasting power. You have to be willing to finish the race. God will inspire through you if you do not quit on God. When we say, “Oh, God, why did you quit on me?” The truth is just the reverse. We have to believe in God and finish the race knowing God is our partner.
9. MARKET A BRAND NEW YOU. YOU HAVE ONLY ONE PRODUCT TO SELL, ONE PRODUCT TO IMPROVE, AND THAT PRODUCT IS YOURSELF. Always market a new self. The person you see reflected in the mirror today is not nearly as great as the person you will see tomorrow, next week or the model that’s coming out in the Spring. The 2021 model is coming out. It’s going to be the best yet! In every part of your life, become that which you want to be. You have to believe in yourself before others will. You have to become what you are seeking. Then, like a magnet, it is drawn to you. It is going from the back seat in life to the front seat, taking the wheel and saying, “Okay God, I believe in you and I know you’re the possible me in my life!”
10. BECOME THE SUCCESS YOU WERE BORN TO BE. We each live according to our self-image, the pattern we create daily, and we project it on into tomorrow.
1. STOP USING THE WORD FAILURE.
2. DON’T TAKE FAILURE PERSONALLY. HAVE CONFIDENCE IN YOURSELF.
3. USE YOUR DEFECTS
4. YOU WILL GET ANOTHER CHANCE SO BE OPEN AND ACCEPT NEW IDEAS.
5. GOD IS WITH YOU, NOT TO COMMISERATE, BUT TO CO-CREATE. ACCEPT THE FACT THAT GOD IS WITH YOU, YOUR HELP IN EVERY NEED.
6. BE BRAVE, REALLY BRAVE. WITH GOD AT YOUR SIDE, TAKE A NEW LOOK AT THE OLD PROBLEM.
7. DON’T JUST WONDER WHAT YOUR PURPOSE IN LIFE IS. AS YOURSELF, “WHAT DO I LOVE IN LIFE?” DO WHAT YOU HAVE A PASSION FOR DOING.
8. HAVE LASTING POWER.
9. MARKET A BRAND NEW YOU. YOU HAVE ONLY ONE PRODUCT TO SELL, ONE PRODUCT TO IMPROVE, AND THAT PRODUCT IS YOURSELF.
10. BECOME THE SUCCESS YOU WERE BORN TO BE.
© Unity of Vancouver, 2004 All Rights Reserved.