UNITY OF VANCOUVER
“Open Your Mind to Prosperity”
Relax your physical body, hands resting on your legs, with palms open & up in a receptive attitude. I invite you to center your attention at the top of your head & affirm silently, “The Father & I are 1.” You don’t need to concentrate, just feel the energy & light of pure intelligence. Relax & allow this light to glow within your mind as Divine Wisdom & Guidance.
As you attend to that sense of being connected to God within you as wisdom, your capacity to receive & respond with loving appreciation for the gift of life increases. Where you’ve closed yourself to receive, the gifts of God pour like showers of blessings through you into your life. Now attend to that sense of being connected to God within you as Divine Order. As you do all fear & confusion are swept away for they are illusions & hinder the expression of life. Now attend to that sense of being connected to God within you as life, where there has been a sense of being deprived & having unmet needs, there is now a sense of fullness & completion. You no longer isolate yourself from the joy of living this day in total love. Now attend to that sense of being connected to God within you as love. Where that has been a sense of alienation, there is now Unity, for you know that you live in the midst of infinite love. Looking from the center of love in you at others in your life, you sense certain qualities you admire & are reminded that to sense those qualities in others is to possess those qualities within yourself. In your deepening sense of Unity with the 1 Presence in your world, you’re willing to honor those qualities of Spirit, wherever they may be sensed & claim them as your own. They live deep within your being like gold deep in the earth to be brought into the open, refined & given expression. All creation is an expression of Divine Love. Surrender your heart & mind into the silence & into the infinite love of God so that the love of God may be complete in you as a total experience of oneness.
God is the love that motivates you to create & express love intentionally with words & actions & to celebrate the joy of living each moment in total love. You express God’s love now as permanent prosperity in all areas of your life. Let us draw our time of meditation to a close by speaking together our Prayer for Protections. The light of God surrounds us; the love of God enfolds us; the power of God protects us; the Presence of God watches over us. Wherever we are God is and all is well. Amen
Open Your Mind to Prosperity
The affirmations & prosperity ideas I’m sharing this morning are just a small sample of what I’ve gleaned over 3 decades of studying prosperity principles that can help us to change & upgrade our consciousness by replacing thoughts of lack with thoughts of abundance. In Unity we know that there’s only one sure way for lasting prosperity & that is through changing one’s consciousness. One of Unity’s most basic teachings is the Law of Creation more commonly known as the Law of Mind Action, which is: “Thoughts held in mind produce after their kind.”
There are many references to this law & the fact that God wants you to prosper in both the Old & New Testaments. I’ve listed just a few examples on your handout this morning.
Scriptural foundation: Genesis 13:2: "Abram was very rich in cattle, in silver, and in gold." This is saying that prosperity is more than just money. It’s the recognition of wholeness & abundance in every aspect of your life: friends, love relationships, health, creativity, etc.
Genesis 13: 14 &15: "& The Lord said to Abram, ‘Lift up your eyes & look from the place where you are, northward & southward & eastward & westward; for all the land which you see I will give to you & to your descendents for ever." He isn’t referring to ‘outer real estate’ but inner real estate as the recognition that everything seen & unseen is an aspect of the One Presence & Power, God the good omnipotent. The only thing God can ever give to you is the gift of itself. Realizing this truth & living this truth as a spiritual being is a sign of an enlightened consciousness.
Job 42: 10 & 12: "& the Lord restored the fortunes of Job, when he had prayed for his friends; & the Lord gave Job twice as much as he had before & the Lord blessed the latter days of Job more that his beginning." There is never a time or age or situation that says “Ok, your most prosperous days are over.” Many people feel that they are on ‘a limited income. This is because they are only looking in 1 direction, west, to the outer. Metaphysically this is also saying that ‘prosperity is a ‘byproduct’ of praying for others. It works just like the pipe of your water facet, which gets wet as the water passes through it. You are prospered as you let God be God through you.
Psalms 23: 1-3 & 5-6: "The Lord is my shepherd, I shall not want; He makes me lie down in green pastures. He leads me beside still waters; He restores my soul. Thou preparest a table before me in the presence of my enemies; Thou anointest my head with oil, my cup overflows. Surely goodness & mercy shall follow me all the days of my life; & I shall dwell in the house of the Lord for ever."
Proverbs 23:7 (KJV): "As he thinketh in his heart, so is he." To the ancients, ‘heart’ metaphysically represented the subconscious mind. You hold thoughts in mind & they form a picture in your subconscious mind, which is then shown just like a movie on the screen of your life.
Malachi 3:10 & 12: "Bring the full tithes into the storehouse, that there may be food in my house; & therefore put me to the test, says the Lord of hosts, & I will open the windows of heaven for you & pour down for you an overflowing blessing. Then all nations will call you blessed, for you will be a land of delight, says the Lord of hosts."
Luke 6: 38: "Give & it will be given to you; good measure, pressed down, shaken together, running over, will be put into your lap." This is saying you must take the action of giving because you are created in the image & likeness of God whose very nature is giving. “Will be put in your lap” is another way of saying what we just talked about & that is that ‘prosperity is a byproduct of giving.’ It is a byproduct of giving & not striving in order ‘to get.’
Luke 12: 32: "Fear not, little flock, for it is your Father’s good pleasure to give you the kingdom." Fear is a signal that you have taken your ‘eye’ off God & placed your faith in the outer.
Now let’s look at the 9 prosperity principles.
1. Get the junk, the negativity, the lack thinking out of your life and out of your consciousness. Use this affirmation only if you are serious!
Affirm: I now let go everything & everyone that is not for my highest good!
2. Clean out closets, desks, drawers, basements & attics. If you haven’t worn it in a year, let it go. Even if you paid a lot for it, but it doesn’t fit, or doesn’t look good, or even looks good but for some reason you don’t wear it or use it, let it go.
Affirm: I now commit to cleaning out my life. I do not wait. I do it now!
3. To build a prosperity consciousness you must change your thinking about abundance. If you have been conditioned to feel that it is wrong or sinful to be prosperous, change that thinking now by upgrading your thoughts. As Jesus said, “It is the Father’s good pleasure to give to you the riches of the kingdom of heaven.”
Affirm: I am the rich child of a loving God. So, I dare to prosper now.
Affirm: It is God’s good pleasure to bless me. I joyfully accept God’s blessings now!
4. If you have felt that you couldn’t be prosperous because of your background, your education, your family, your job, the stock market, or your retirement income, you can change that thinking now. There are no limits to what God & you can do in partnership. In fact, God can only do for you what God can do through you.
Affirm: God and I are a winning team! Together we enjoy success, happiness & fulfillment!
5. In her book, Open Your Mind to Prosperity on page 29, Catherine Ponder writes, "If you want to be prospered, if you want to be healed & have your prayers answered, you must clean up & clean out your life. It is useless to affirm benefits, protection, supply, guidance & healing, if all the time you are doing the things which you know are not right in the sight of God” Our next affirmation is one of Catherine Ponder’s favorites. Affirm: “Christ in me now frees me from everything & everybody that are no longer part of the Divine Plan for my life. Everything & everybody that are no longer a part of the Divine Plan for my life now release me. Christ in me reveals, unfolds & manifests the divine plan of my life now!” Again do use this one unless you mean it!
6. Part of cleaning up & cleaning out to prepare the way for prosperity includes the forgiveness process. Catherine Ponder states that you must forgive your enemies & release your friends from all of your expectations. You must let go negative energy toward anyone. You must let those you love be what they choose for themselves. Also, you must claim others’ forgiveness of you. You don’t want their negative energy directed toward you anymore than you want to block your good by directing negative energy toward them.
Affirm: “I love you; I bless you; I appreciate you; I forgive you; & I release you to your highest good. I am loved by you; I am blessed by you; I am appreciated by you; I am forgiven by you; & I am released to my highest good.
You love yourself; you bless yourself; you appreciate yourself; you forgive yourself; & you release yourself to your highest good. I love myself; I bless myself; I appreciate myself; I forgive myself; & I release myself to my highest good. I am free I am unlimited; there are no chains that bind me!”
7. You must create prosperity in mind first before you can experience it in manifestation. Catherine Ponder suggests 3 ways to help you to do this & to remember, "As in mind, so in manifestation." A. In writing. B. In pictures. C. In words.
A. Write 3 lists using a sheet of paper for each list.
Start now. When? NOW! Begin by using any available space on your handout. Then, as soon as possible, get more paper and complete your lists.
B. Create pictures by making a Treasure Map. Cut out colorful pictures of what you desire to bring into your life & glue them onto a sheet of poster board. Begin by placing a symbol for God or the Christ presence in the very center of the board. Remember, the key to prosperity is to always place God first by keeping your attention centered on God as your Source.
To have a prosperity consciousness you must be centered in God rather than centered in your personality or ego. You must be centered in God & have God as the center of your life as the Source from which everything flows through you, to you. This means that you must stop seeing someone or something in the outer, like your job as your source of supply. When you place your source of supply out there you can become ‘fearful’ that your good can be taken from you. When you place your source of supply out there you are putting your faith & power of your belief in the outer, material world rather than in God & the unseen, field of pure potentiality that God is.
For example: If you lose your job you may feel like you have lost your source of financial support. But when you are centered in God you recognize that the job & that employer are just one of the many distribution centers God is channeling supply through to you. When one door closes another one has already opened. But if your eyes are ‘fixed’ on the closing door you will not see the opening door. Keeping a ‘single eye’, means to keep your ‘eye of faith & belief on God’ & to look expectantly to God for guidance for God is surely opening the windows of heaven as another distribution center. One of the ways people limit themselves the most is by looking only to one outer Source of supply. Be sure to put a symbol for money on the board to signify that you want the things to come to you debt-free.
C. Use prosperous words. You are doing that right now. Listen to your words & thoughts every time you handle money, every time you make a purchase, pay bills, write tithes, give offerings, or receive your financial statements. The thoughts you hold in mind & the words you speak about money make a huge difference in your life. Thoughts & words are you creative tools! Whether you know it or not you are always using your thoughts & words to create what you see & experience as your life.
8. Tithing: Catherine Ponder & virtually all prosperity teachers & Unity ministers & Unity students know that tithing is the secret to permanent prosperity. Tithing isn’t magic. Tithing is giving with an understanding faith which is knowing that giving & receiving are two sides of the same coin. In her book, Open Your Mind to Prosperity on Pgs. 55-62 Catherine Ponder declares, "This is the most fascinating & mystical prosperity law of all. As the Bible’s first millionaire, Abraham learned this secret from the Babylonians. Abraham passed along the tithing law of prosperity to his grandson, Jacob. God later gave Moses specific instructions about tithing. Both Jesus & Paul were tithers. The act of tithing or giving back to God’s work a 10th of one’s gross income is not something that some minister dreamed up as a means of raising money! It is a universal prosperity law. The greater the present financial necessity, the greater the need for immediately invoking ‘ten, the magical number of increase.’
Tithe where you are getting your spiritual help & inspiration if you wish to be prospered. It is inconsistent to do otherwise. Giving where you are receiving spiritual help & inspiration & being reminded that you are first & foremost a spiritual being keeps you in touch with the flow of supply. It is practicing the presence of God & giving in the image & likeness of God. It is giving without fear & without the expectation of getting a return from someone or something out there. Tithing in appreciation to your spiritual source is an act of love not only for God & your source of inspiration but also for yourself. You feed & nourish your physical body & by coming to your spiritual source you are feeding your soul & spirit & in essence saying, “I am a spiritual being & my true source of all is a spiritual source. & I love myself enough to nourish all the different levels of my being.
Affirm: I tithe consistently to the places that represent God & God’s work. An even more powerful testimony is to say “I tithe consistently from all sources of income to the places that represent God and God’s work.”
Tithing from all the sources of your income is recognition that God uses multiple distribution routes, north, south, east & west to get supply through to you & through you into the physical world. It is especially important to tithe on ‘unexpected income’ because by doing so you increase your faith in ‘unexpected income.’ The primary word here is ‘consistently’. Give to God consistently by tithing & God will give consistently to you. As Jesus said, “To whomever much is given much is expected.” The only limit to your prosperity is the one you ‘think’ exists by your fear that there is not enough. Tithe off the top. Don’t wait until the end of the month & then give to God what’s left if there is anything left. That is a sure formula for lack because you are more focused on the physical world & your physical needs & pleasures & neglecting to nurture your spiritual self.
Affirm: I tithe lovingly, fearlessly and completely, with no strings attached.
9. It is your birthright to be prosperous. It’s God’s will & God’s pleasure to bless you abundantly. Prosperity is spiritual & spirituality prospers. Regardless of who you are or what you have previously believed, you can be prosperous by centering your attention; your thoughts, feelings, actions & reactions in absolute love & trust in God. Let’s open our minds to prosperity right now! Affirm with me: “I open my mind to prosperity right now! I can be prosperous. Praise God.”
© Unity of Vancouver, 2004 All Rights Reserved.