UNITY OF VANCOUVER
“Spiritual Career Guidnace”
Ten Best Things To Say If You Get Caught Sleeping At Your Desk
10. "They told me at the blood bank this might happen."
9. "This is just a 15 minute power-nap like they raved about in that time management course you sent me to."
8. "Whew! Guess I left the top off the White-Out. You probably got here just in time!"
7. "I wasn't sleeping! I was meditating on the mission statement & envisioning a new paradigm."
6. "I was testing my keyboard for drool resistance."
5. "I was doing a highly specific Yoga exercise to relieve work-related stress. Are you discriminatory toward people who practice Yoga?"
4. "Why did you interrupt me? I had almost figured out a solution to our biggest problem."
3. "The coffee machine is broken..."
2. "Someone must've put decaf in the wrong pot..."
The #1 best thing to say if you get caught sleeping at your desk... In Jesus' name. Amen."
I invite you to close your eyes & on the next in breath say to yourself I am & on the out breath, at peace. Use your breath to calm mind & body. Breath in God the great “I AM” & breath out stress & ego ‘at peace.” Now imagine a beautiful healing color bathing your heart in love & freeing your heart from any resentments or fears. Breath love into your heart & breath out & release any self-judgments that prevent you from truly loving yourself as a child of God. As you feel your heart opening, begin to see a beautiful white light radiating from your heart & surrounding your whole body with an energy field of love & acceptance.
Short Skit: 3 people: God, Noah & Narrator
Narrator: We’ve prepared a little skit about a conversation that may have taken place between Noah & God this morning to illustrate that the frustrations many of us have with our jobs has existed almost since the beginning of time. & the Lord said to Noah,
1. Lord: "Where is the ark I commanded thee to build?"
Narrator: & Noah said unto the Lord
2. Noah: "Verily I have had 3 carpenters off ill. The gopher wood supplier hath let me down. Yea, even though the gopher wood hath been on order for nigh upon 12 months. What can I do Lord?"
Narrator: And God said to Noah
1. God: "I want that ark finished in less than 7 days and 7 nights."
Narrator: & Noah said to God,
2. Noah: "It will be so."
3. Narrator: And it was NOT so & so the Lord said unto Noah,
1. Lord: "What seemeth to be the trouble this time?"
Narrator: & Noah said to the Lord,
2. Noah: "Mine subcontractor hath gone bankrupt. The pitch, which Thou commandest me to put on the outside and inside of the ark, hath not arrived. The plumber hath gone on strike. Shim, my son who helped me on the Ark side of the business, hath formed a rock group with his brother Ham and Chapel & would rather play music than work on the ark. Lord, I am undone."
1. Lord: "What about the animals? What about the male and the female of every sort that I ordered to come unto thee to keep their seed alive upon the face of this earth?"
Narrator: & Noah said to the Lord,
2. Noah: "O Lord, they have been delivered to the wrong address. They should arrive on Friday."
1. Lord: "How about the unicorns and the fowls of the air which I ordered you to get in sevens?"
Narrator: & Noah wrung his hands & wept saying to the Lord,
2. Noah: (wrung his hands & wept) "Lord, unicorns are a discontinued line and thou cannot get them for love nor money. And fowls of the air are only sold in half-dozens. Lord, Thou knowest how it is."
1. Lord: "My son, I do indeed knowest how it is. That's why I have caused a flood to descend upon the earth."
Narrator: & that’s the absolute truth behind the Noah & the flood story.
Spiritual Career Guidance – September 5, 2010
Many people today are in pain because their job or business isn’t going the way they had hoped & planned that it would when they went into the work force or took that job. Perhaps you had plans & dreams about your work life that haven’t materialized. In prayer you ask God, “Why, God? I work so hard. Why isn't it going the way I want it to go?"
Your relationship to work is just like any other relationship in your life. When you’re in a relationship that’s an ongoing struggle or feels one sided what often happens? You begin to disengage from it spiritually, mentally & emotionally. Your body is still there but all the other aspects of you are somewhere else. Most of ‘you’ has moved on. This is something we all do on the human level in order to protect ourselves from continually being hurt.
You show up but your love & your passion for what you're doing has slipped away. You resent being there because it’s no longer fun. You don’t feel appreciated. You feel that you aren’t getting anywhere in that job. A job can even feel like walking a tightrope. You’re afraid you might breathe wrong & upset the delicate balance around you & get fired.
It’s like the man who went to REI & bought a canoe even though he had never been in a canoe in his life & didn’t have time to take any lessons. He took his canoe to a lake & began rowing across & soon discovered that canoeing is a balancing act. If you put the oar too far to one side the whole canoe tips. If you move you can cause the canoe to rock or turn over. The man later told me, “I have never been so afraid in my life, especially after I spotted water moccasins in the water!”
Like the man in canoe, we forget to have fun because we’re so busy trying to maintain our balance & not fall into a snake pit. We forget to bring God & joy into our workplace. But as my mother who remembers the Great depression always says if I complain about my job, “At least you have a job it could be worse.” There have been times when even I thought to myself: “How could it be worse?”
I want to share the 1872 work rules for the Geiger Company If you think you have it bad, listen to this:
1. Office employees will daily sweep the floors; dust the furniture, shelves and showcases.
2. Each day, fill lamps, clean chimneys, turn wicks. Wash windows once a week.
3. Each clerk will bring in a bucket of water & a scuttle of coal for the day's business.
4. Make your pens carefully. You may whittle your nibs to your individual taste.
5. The office will open at 7:00 am & close at 9:00 pm every day except on the Sabbath, on which day it will remain closed. Each employee is expected to spend the Sabbath Day attending Church & contributing liberally to God’s work.
6. Men employees will be given an evening off each week for courting purposes, or 2 evenings a week if they go to church. This is interesting because they never mention that the women were given this same thing. Why? They didn’t employee women. Women were expected to stay home & ensure that “a man’s home is his castle.”
7. After an employee has spent 13 hours of labor in the office, he should spend time reading the Bible or other good books while contemplating the glories of building up the Kingdom.
9. The employee who has performed his labors faithfully and without fault for a period of 5 years in my service, and who has been thrifty and attentive to his religious duties, is looked upon by his fellow man as substantial and law abiding, and will be given an increase of 5 cents per week in his pay.
Have you ever wondered if Jesus had work issues? Was He an employer or small business owner? Was He ever disgusted with those who worked for him? Yes He was. He had 12 people working directly for Him. Often no matter how he explained it He couldn’t get them to do what he wanted them to do, which was to take over the family business.
Jesus said that we are a family, a spiritual family with the same father & mother, God, the good omnipotent. His message about work is simple to summarize: “It is not I but my Father with that does the work. I must be about my Father’s business. Love yourself & do unto others, as you would have them do unto you. Do these things.” Jesus transcended his labor pains with God’s help.
Instead of transcending troubles, most people feel utterly alone & try to dig in. They get into a ‘pit of despair.’ Then to make matters worse they don’t realize that they are in a depression of their own making. They can’t lift themselves out because they think the problem & solution is out there.
Jesus’ message to his disciples then & to us who are in line to take over the family business now is: “You can transcend anything that appears to be working against you & you can do it now” because you are not alone in your job or anywhere. God is always there with you & not only that “God is the only real presence & power active in the universe.”
Without God, you can feel like you’re on a treadmill running as fast as you can without any real purpose or benefit. When you’re struggling just to make ends meet, you can feel lost & abandoned & utter hopeless can set in as your attitude of mind. To a ‘mind’ in this relationship to God, Jesus says, "Take my yoke upon you and learn from Me for I am gentle and lowly of heart."
What does it mean to be gentle & lowly of heart? This means that instead of coming into work thinking, "Okay, I am going to be here & I’m not going to let them do anything to me today. I am ready for a fight. Let the war begin!” You show up thinking & feeling “Father I consent to having your activity work through me today.”
What is your usual Monday morning attitude? Do you show up at work with your best Sunday morning Unity consciousness with you? Do you walk into your workplace with an awareness that “God’s Love, Wisdom, & Strength are flowing through me.” Do you show up at work to ‘radiate more of your Christ Self & less of your ego self?’
When Monday morning comes don’t forget what you heard here 24 hours earlier & show up with the intention to let your light shine.
Jesus said, “As you give so shall you receive.” As you broadcast light & love it will draw to you people, places, circumstances that are for your highest good. & that means for your spiritual growth as the speedy unfoldment of your Christ self; that is the only permanent solution to the challenges of human life. One affirmation I use is: “I am God’s magnet of good in the physical world.”
Jesus is talking about a ‘rest’ that is so spiritual & deep that a sense of vitality as new talents & ideas come through you. This kind of ‘rest’ is what can transform your career & business. Whenever you feel heavy laden & like the burdens of the world are on your shoulders, ask yourself: “Is God doing this to me or am I doing this to myself? Am I expressing more of my ego or my Christ in this moment?”
Changing the way you think & feel about work & lifting your attitude will transform your whole life.
Jesus said, "For my yoke is easy and my burden is light." A yoke is a harness around the neck of an animal intended to keep the animal attached to something that seems immovable like a wagon or millstone. Here Jesus is saying that we are all attached to something, either God & the spiritual realm or body, ego stuff & the physical realm.
Our attachment to the material world can feel immovable. If you want to see it move, ask God to move it. You will find that no aspect of life is ever stagnant. Unbelievable good will come your way if you attach & anchor yourself in God & your Spirit self & not in ego & the world.
In Galatians 5:1 Paul says: "For freedom, Christ has set us free. Stand fast, therefore & do not submit again to the yoke of slavery." If you feel like a slave in your job it is a signal that you are yoked to matter & ego. This will happen to again & again until you learn to anchor yourself in God & as Paul said, “Pray unceasingly.” Personnel problems are created by the ego personality & solved by the individuality or Christ self.
You are not working for who you think you're working for. You are working for God. Your purpose is to be the light & love of God exactly where you are today. There is a positive prayer affirmation that you can use: “I WORK DIRECTLY WITH GOD & GOD WORKS DIRECTLY WITH ME.”
Use this positive prayer to remind yourself that no matter how insignificant your human mind tells you the work is, God is working in you, as you work, to accomplish what is yours to do & simultaneously to do something great for God.
You & I often have no idea how what we’re doing will benefit others. All we can do is to trust God as Jesus did & know that with God we can & will transcend & overcome anything.
With the right attitude of mind, you become a shining light that others will respond to positively. You will be a virtual gold mine because you have a continuous flow of God's ideas, enthusiastic energy & creativity flowing through you.
You're important to everyone whose life you touch. You make a difference in their lives & in your work environment. Wherever you are, God is & holding that in mind releases very powerful energy. I’ll close with: II Corinthians 3:18 which talks about this. "& we all, with unveiled face, beholding the glory of the Lord, are being changed into God’s likeness from one degree of glory to another."
A short time later the waitress returns with the order. "That will be $9.40 please," & the man reaches into his pocket & pulls out the exact change for payment. The next day, the man & the ostrich come again & the man says, "A hamburger, fries, & a Coke." The ostrich says, "I'll have the same." Again the man reaches into his pocket & pays with exact change. This becomes routine until, the two enter again. "The usual?" asks the waitress. "No, this is Friday night, so I will have a steak, baked potato & salad," says the man. "Same," says the ostrich. Shortly the waitress brings the order and says, "That will be $32.62." Once again the man pulls the exact change out of his pocket & places it on the table. The waitress can't hold back her curiosity any longer. "Excuse me, sir. How do you manage to always come up with the exact change out of your pocket every time?"
"Well," says the man, "several years ago I was cleaning the attic & found an old lamp. When I rubbed it, a Genie appeared & offered me 2 wishes. My first wish was that if I ever had to pay for anything, I would just put my hand in my pocket & the right amount of money would always be there." "That's brilliant!" says the waitress. "Most people would wish for a million dollars but you'll always be as rich as you want for as long as you live!" "That's right. Whether it's a gallon of milk or a Rolls Royce, the exact money is always there," says the man.The waitress asks, "But, sir, what's with the ostrich?" The man sighs, pauses & answers, "My 2nd wish was for a tall chick with long legs who agrees with everything I say."
© Unity of Vancouver, 2004 All Rights Reserved.